Re: Policy Translation

Hi,

> > I don't want to be discouraging, but are we sure that translating our
> > internal documents like the policy manual is a very good idea ?
>
> 	There are two important points: (1) A good translation can
> help non-native speakers to understand some points that is not quite
> clear and (2) the translation is already in progress. :o)
>
> 	When the person that is translating the docs arrive, he
> already has some chapters translated, of course, I checked around
> and couldn't found any references about how to translate it and
> how to integrate that translation. Then I decide to ask and create
> some "background" on the subject.
>
> 	I agree that the policy is an internal document, but I
> found an old reference for a Japanese Translation of the Policy.
> Anyway, I can say that we are using this as an unofficial
> translation and add this to [1]our wiki.

Japanese people and Portuguese people may be in the same kind of state
in that many people are not proficient in English. The reasons for
translating to Japanese are:

1. Debian-policy documents some of the Debian designs pretty well, and
   is a very good reference to users.

2. Most Japanese people do not read English straight-out; they tend to
   translate before understanding English text, thus sharing the work
   and reviewing them is sometimes better.

Currently, Iwamatsu is doing some Japanese policy translation work for
doing presentation in monthly Debian meeting in Tokyo.

regards,
	junichi
--
dancer@{debian.org,netfort.gr.jp}   Debian Project