Re: Policy should require _pic libraries for static-only libraries

On Jan 06, Nathanael Nerode <neroden@twcny.rr.com> wrote:

> Good point.  Let's amend policy to require that a _pic.a library be provided
> for any static-only library; it seems to be an unreasonable omission.  I
> wouldn't consider a library package which can't be used by any shared library
> to be releasable.  Would anyone else?
It's a bit more complex than this, you can find a summary in
http://blog.bofh.it/id_101 .

In this specific case, the solutions should be (in order of priority):
- remove freecdb from the archive, since there are better replacements
  (providing a shared library is enough to make them better, at least)
- make freecdb provide a shared library (which should be easy, and the
  opinion of DJB is not really intersting not relevant for our purposes)
- make freecdb provide a PIC static library

OTOH, the last two points are almost a pointless exercise if there is no
actual shared library which needs to be linked against freecdb.

--
ciao,
Marco