Re: GNUstep and FHS

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 22:50:47 -0800, Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> said:

> Hi Hubert,
> On Tue, Nov 29, 2005 at 09:16:03PM -0500, Hubert Chan wrote:
>> I've done some work on making the GNUstep core packages more FHS
>> compliant, and I'd like some input to make sure that I have addressed
>> all complaints.  If no other complaints are raised, I will assume
>> that the GNUstep packages are fit for release -- at least in terms of
>> complying with the FHS.

> Thanks for your work on what I'm sure is a very unrewarding task. :) I
> haven't looked at the packages, but based on your comments, I for one
> am satisfied with the resulting FHS compliance.

Thanks.

Your comment reminded me of something that I forgot to say in my last
message, which should give people a better idea of the status of the
/usr/lib vs /usr/share split.

The directories that are currently in /usr/lib/GNUstep/System/Library
(that are not symlinks) now are:

- ApplicationSupport
- Bundles
- ColorPickers
- Services

  These four directories will contain executable code (not intended to
  be run directly by the user).  They may also contain some arch-indep
  stuff (such as images and other resources), but those can be moved to
  /usr/share on a package-by-package basis (if the size of the
  arch-indep stuff warrants it, or if someone complains about that
  package), and doesn't affect the core libraries.

- Frameworks

  Contains shared libraries.  The headers and other resources have been
  moved to /usr/include and /usr/share, respectively, so this directory
  now only contains library code and symlinks.

- Libraries

  Just symlinks to the libraries in /usr/lib and in the Frameworks
  directory, so that GNUstep programs can find them if they expect them
  in that directory.

All other subdirectories of /usr/lib/GNUstep/System/Library (other than
those that are installed by other packages) contain only
architecture-independent files, and have been moved to /usr/share (or
/usr/include in the case of the headers), with symlinks in place.

--
Hubert Chan <hubert@uhoreg.ca> - http://www.uhoreg.ca/
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/124B61FA