Re: Reason for 10.2 -fPIC requirement

On Sun, Sep 18, 2005 at 05:28:44PM +0200, Loïc Minier wrote:

>  Policy 10.2: "The shared version of a library must be compiled with
>  -fPIC".

>  This is a "must", but I couldn't find where the requirement comes from
>  (I only checked the changelog).

>  I'm currently trying to resolve Debian bug #268603 where mpeg2dec is
>  built with -fPIC on i386 only.  As far as I understood it, -fPIC is a
>  10% performance improvement on i386 only, and a much smaller
>  improvement on most other arches because they usually have more
>  registers.  I also have read that -fPIC is borken on some !i386 arches.

>  Would someone please sched some light on the origins of this
>  requirement?  If this requirement is only to save memory in most cases,
>  would it be reasonable to permit building with -fPIC by changing this
>  "must" in a "should"?

I think Marco's comments are quite correct here.  We should not be reducing
the "must" to a "should", so much as we should be clarifying the scope of
the "must" rule; otherwise we'll just get maintainers wantonly disabling
-fPIC on i386 on the grounds that it's "faster", without regard for the
memory tradeoff.