Re: Section 6.3 should reference 3.10.1 (was: It is 23:53, do you know whether your package (un)installs cleanly?)

On Sun, 04 Sep 2005, Marc 'HE' Brockschmidt wrote:
> Lars Wirzenius <liw@iki.fi> writes:
> >         * Some packages still don't use debconf for prompting, and
> >           instead do silly stuff that assumed it is OK to read and
> >           write /dev/tty.
>
> Actually, the policy explicitly allows this:
>
> | The maintainer scripts are guaranteed to run with a controlling terminal
> | and can interact with the user. If they need to prompt for passwords, do
> | full-screen interaction or something similar you should do these things
> | to and from /dev/tty, [...]
> [Debian Policy 3.6.2.1, section 6.3]
>

> This should probably changed a bit to reference 3.10.1, which says that
> all means to prompt the user besides debconf are deprecated.
>
> I'm not yet sure that this my view is right, so I only CCed -policy (and
> have not filed a bug yet).

Your view is right.

Any sort of user input interaction outside of debconf [for maintainer
scripts] is deprecated.

Any sort of importat output user interaction [i.e. alerts to the user]
outside of debconf warnings is deprectated, AND an extremely dumb idea to do
otherwise anyway, since it is likely that anything short of a debconf
warning will never be noticed anyway.

  Henrique Holschuh