Re: GNUstep and FHS

On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 23:57:10 -0700, Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> said:

[... lots of stuff snipped ...]

> FWIW, I don't think /usr/share vs. /usr/lib is the biggest issue in
> GNUstep.  I think the bigger issues are:

> - shared libs in /usr/lib/GNUstep/foo instead of in /usr/lib (has been
> done by other packages in the past, but it looks like my historical
> example, mozilla, has been cleaned up)

Is this actually a policy/FHS violation?

I think Eric has indicated that this might be able to be fixed, but that
it isn't trivial.

> - ObjC headers in /usr/lib/GNUstep/bar instead of in /usr/include;
> it's not clear whether this is actually an FHS violation, since the
> FHS says C/C++... :)

It's also not clear if putting them in /usr/include would be a FHS
violation, since FHS says that it's for C/C++ headers... :)

(My own opinion is that ObjC is close enough to C and that they should
go in /usr/include.)

> - manpages apparently duplicated under
> /usr/lib/GNUstep/System/Library/Documentation/man/manX/

Also, it looks like some packages (notable gorm) include a
/usr/lib/GNUstep/System/Library/Documentation/info/ directory that
contains documentation in texinfo.

> - user-executable binaries under /usr/lib/GNUstep/baz instead of in
> /usr/bin

The binaries under /usr/lib/GNUstep/System/Applications/ can be executed
directly, but are not intended to be executed directly.  They are
intended to be executed using the openapp program, or using the wrapper
in /usr/bin that all the GNUstep packages create.  This situation at
least doesn't seem to be much different from the mozilla packages.  FHS
says that binaries that are not intended to be executed directly go in
/usr/lib, so I don't see any problem here.

Similarly, the binaries under /usr/lib/GNUstep/System/Tools/ are
intended to be executed using the opentool program.

The shell scripts under /usr/lib/GNUstep/System/Library/Makefiles/ that
the user is supposed to source to set up the environment are no longer
needed in the latest upstream, so this problem goes away.

--
Hubert Chan <hubert@uhoreg.ca> - http://www.uhoreg.ca/
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/124B61FA