Re: So will test be grandfathered?

On Mon, 2004-11-01 at 01:09, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> Rather, what we need is someone (do I hear you volunteering?) to
> prepare a good list of builtins that should be grandfathered.

OK, I'll start it.

    List of builtins exempt from ramified 10.1
    test

The reason for putting "test" on the list is that "test" is implemented
differently in different shells.  It was alleged that different "test"
builtins have different precedence rules for their logical connectives,
although I have seen no demonstration of this for the shells that Debian
ships.  Also, posh's "test" builtin lacks "-a" and "-o" entirely.  (It
was suggested that posh's "test" builtin either be changed to support
"-a" and "-o" or be eliminated entirely; however posh's maintainer
rejected this idea and it was described by someone else as "nutso".)

--
Thomas Hood