Re: Comparing FHS 2.3 and 2.1

Joey Hess writes:
>Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> User specific configuration files for applications are stored in the user's
>> home directory in a file that starts with the '.' character (a "dot file"). If
>> an application needs to create more than one dot file then they should be
>> placed in a subdirectory with a name starting with a '.' character, (a "dot
>> directory"). In this case the configuration files should not start with the '.'
>> character.
>>
>> 	I have no idea if we comply, but this is a new requirement.
>
>A few things that come to mind are:
>
> - gnome: .gnome, .gnome2, .gnome2_private, .gnome-private all in my
>   home directory, some are used by multiple apps. Maybe this squeaks by
>   since there are subdirs, not files?
> - WindowMaker: ~/GNUStep is not a dot file (can be made to use
>   something starting with a dot, via an environment variabe)
> - offlineimap (.offlineimaprc, .offlineimaprc.py, .offlineimap/)
> - X (.Xauthority, .xinitrc, .xsession, .xsession-errors,
>   .Xresources, .Xmodmap, etc) But perhaps X is more than one
>   "application", dunno.
> - CVS (.cvsrc, .cvspass)
> - scummvm (.svummvmrc and .scummvm/)
> - vim (.viminfo, .vimrc, maybe .vim/)
> - zsh (.zcompdump, .zlogin, .zshenv, .zshrc)
> - ion2 (.ion2/.welcome_msg_displayed ; the filename should not start
>   with a dot in order to comply)

Hmmm. Speaking as the CVS maintainer, I'm not impressed by this new
requirement. There are thousands of installations of CVS out there
using ~/.cvspass and ~/.cvsrc. Moving all those files would be a
nightmare at best; just imagine shared home space between different
Unix-like systems...

Why are the FHS people even interested in user home directories?

"I suspect most samba developers are already technically insane... Of
 course, since many of them are Australians, you can't tell." -- Linus Torvalds