Re: Policy 9.2.2: s/should/must/ for add{user,group} --system?

On Sat, Feb 07, 2004 at 01:50:57PM +0100, Siggy Brentrup wrote:
> after being bitten by packages allocating system
> groups with gids > 1000, I'm filing bugreports
> against these packages.

May I ask which ?

> 100-999:
>     Dynamically allocated system users and groups. Packages which need a
>     user or group, but can have this user or group allocated dynamically
>     and differently on each system, *should use adduser --system* to
>     create the group and/or user. adduser will check for the existence
>     of the user or group, and if necessary choose an unused id based on
>     the ranges specified in adduser.conf.
>
> (emphasis by me)
>
> What do you think?

It is my understanding that the `should' above refer specifically to the
use of `adduser --system', and not of the 100-999 range.

I would regard any violation of the uid/gid range given in this section
as a serious policy violation by regard of the amount of breakage it
cause.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>