Re: So will test be grandfathered?

Thomas Hood <jdthood@aglu.demon.nl> writes:

> While we wait for the official list to be compiled, can we at least
> assume that "test" will be grandfathered?  If "test" will be
> grandfathered then it follows that use of test's "-a" and "-o" options
> should (continue to) be deprecated in scripts using /bin/sh.

I don't think we should assume.  Assuming makes it seem like the
amendment isn't necessary, because we already know what it will look
like.

> Or will "test" not be grandfathered?  In that case some implementations
> of "test" (coreutils's /usr/bin/test and the various "test" shell
> builtins) will have to be modified, renamed or eliminated in order to
> conform to the new/clarified rule.  Once the dust has settled there will
> be a de facto standard "test" and, assuming that the latter implements
> "-a" and "-o", there will be no need to deprecate the use of these
> options.

And we certainly don't want to start that either!

Rather, what we need is someone (do I hear you volunteering?) to
prepare a good list of builtins that should be grandfathered.

Thomas