$HOME/.dotfiles and FHS 2.3 (was: Comparing FHS 2.3 and 2.1)

"Marcelo E. Magallon" <mmagallo@debian.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 26, 2004 at 03:02:02PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>
>  >  5)==
>  >
>  > User specific configuration files for applications are stored in the
>  > user's home directory in a file that starts with the '.' character (a
>  > "dot file").
[...]
>  Holy...  and that's the area of FHS... how?
>
>  First, does every single package have to comply with this?
>
>  Off the top of my head:
>
>     * aspell stores user's dictionaries in ~/, and it store several
>       files per languaje.

These I wouldn't name "configuration files". They are data files
containing my personal input for later reuse. Although, indeed, it would
be nice to have them in a subdirectory.

>     * bash reads and writes a number of files in ~/ (.bash_profile,
>       .bashrc, .bash_history)
>     * there are several directories related to GNOME (at least ~/.gnome2
>       and ~/.gnome2_private)
>     * vim has ~/.vimrc, ~/.viminfo (configure IIRC), ~/.vim/

They should probably use their own directory in the future. I think this
would really be a good idea.

>     * Window Maker stores its configuration across several files and
>       directories under ~/GNUstep (configurable) (and no, I won't change
>       the default because it's configurable via an environment variable)

I was always annoyed by this, and it's not easy to find the solution in
the documentation (I only learned of the environment variable in this
thread). Why not change the default, when everybody can get back the
original buggy behavior by setting an environment variable?

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster
Inst. f. Biochemie der Univ. Zürich