Re: build, build-arch and build-indep targets in debian/rules

Wouter Verhelst <wouter@grep.be> writes:

> On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 12:27:11PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
>> Wouter Verhelst <wouter@grep.be> writes:
>> > Please read <http://bugs.debian.org/218893>, which was a previous
>> > proposal to address this issue, instead of coming up with one of
>> > yourself, out of the blue.
>>
>> I have and my mail is a new spin on the same topic. The old thread has
>> been dead since May and hopefully this revigorates it.
>
> Hm.
>
>> Option 1 in my mails follows your 'Message-ID:
>> <20040505102327.GA5013@grep.be>' suggestion of "I've been
>> wondering... why bother? Why can't we just make build-arch and
>> build-indep mandatory"
>
> Right. Good point :-)
>
> (Sorry for my slightly negative tone in the previous mail; I far too
> often read mails way too early on the day...)

Don't worry, I often write mails far to late at night. :)

While we are on it, has anyone tried to compile all packages by
calling "build-arch" and recorded the number of success and failures?

Also, on the topic of detecting build-arch support, shouldn't every
debian/rules file that has no build-arch target eventually fail with
the same error message from make: 'make: *** No rule to make target
`build-arch'.  Stop.'?

Why can't dpkg-buildpackage just call build-arch and compare the last
line of the make output againt that message.

I hope we can all agree that a source that has the build-arch target
must do the right thing if it is called (i.e. that build-arch is not
abused to do something nasty) and that rules files called with a wrong
target also do the right thing (i.e. fail without damaging
sideeffect).

MfG
        Goswin