Re: build, build-arch and build-indep targets in debian/rules

On 2004-08-09 Goswin von Brederlow <brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> wrote:
> Hi,

> in short (full rephrase below) I propose the following change to
> debian-policy:

> option 1: Make build-arch and build-indep targets mandatory in
>           debian/rules

> or

> option 2: Add an optional "Build-Targets" line to debian/control.
[...]
> Comments, ideas, opionion?

Are you familiar with #218893, which is basically identical to your
Option 2? The most important thing included there is that dpkg
maintainance  (I had asked Scott James Remnant[1] on IRC) would rather
see autodetection of availabilty of optional targets with
make -f debian/rules -pn | grep '^build-arch:'
             cu andreas

[1] Not trying to second guess which is the first name. ;-)
fuhggvat qbja gur juveyvat tha.
Neal Stephenson in "Snow Crash"