Non-Free

Sirs:
I operate a small business out of my home and have been using Red Hat Software and have virtually disbanded all my Windoze machines. I hate Microslop and have been very pleased to run my whole business under Linux for about 4 years now. My Red Hat 7.1 systems are aging and there are frequent library incompatibilities with new software packages I download from the web so it was time for a change. I thought I'd try a new Debian release.

Woody installed OK, but when I loaded the (binary) driver module for my Belkin Network Card I got an error message that basically said the driver module was a "non-free" piece and was not being linked into the kernel for that reason. This is quite distressing. I bought a different (major brand) network card and got the same result with that driver. It appears that current debian policy is so radical about the free/non-free issue that they have put a little facist policeman inside of my box who is going to tell me what I can and cannot do.
I thought only the people from Redmond did that!

I'm hesitant to complain about this issue because I believe that people who write software for free have the right to put out anything they desire, users can just like it or lump it (or possibly change it).

If I had the skill (I almost do) to safely hack my kernel and/or modutils to remove the little policeman, I'd do it, and share it with my friends that may be having the same problem, but I'm not comfortable enough with C yet to do it. As a result of this no-linking of non-free software policy, my network is unusable therefore the machine is unusable therefore I'm going back to Red Hat which supports my network cards (both of 'em) just fine.

I wish I didn't have to, - I really like the debian distribution (except for this problem). I like the Social contract (with clause #5 intact)

Dave Crosby
Everett Washington USA
(425) 347-2037