Re: rmail, m-t-a, and uucp

On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 12:39:20PM -0600, Steve Langasek wrote:
> Regardless, I don't think this bug is sufficient to claim that sendmail
> *must* continue to depend on rmail for sarge in order to support partial
> upgrades.  AFAIK, the only package in the archive which depends on
> rmail's functionality is uucp, and it had an incorrect dependency in
> woody anyway, because Depends: m-t-a did not guarantee the presence of
> rmail then, either.

I would submit that users can rely on functionalities available in a
package without an explicit package dependency.

So if sendmail provided a rmail executable, upgrading to sarge should
not removing it silently.

As far as I know, policy say nothing about the upgrade process between
two releases, but notwithstanding we are commited to provide trouble-free
upgrade between stable releases.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>