Re: flushing old bugs

On Fri, Mar 12, 2004 at 08:12:29PM +0100, Andreas Barth wrote:
> #218893 debian/rules.version file [Fix for the build-arch problem]
>  Add some special way so that dpkg-buildpackage can figure out what
>  targets are there. Well, proper way would be to set severity to wishlist
>  and wait whether someone makes a proposal out of it.

This bug report include a patch for dpkg (to implement the feature) and a patch
to debian-policy (to document it). It is pending implementation in dpkg
(or notification of dpkg maintainer that they disagree with the feature).

> #222553 policy 11.5.3 refers to using the menu package to register docs
>  very fresh; should IMHO be wishlist until it's a proposal and has two
>  seconds.

It had more or less two second (Joy and me). Someone need to write
a doc-base proposal.

> #129131 add kderemove to allowed tags in menu subpolicy
>  newly assigned from lintian; are we responsible also for that subpolicy?
>  Otherwise, it seems sane to me, but I know almost nothing about menus.

I will reassign to menu and probably close it when I get the
opportunuity to test the new KDE menu stuff. Chris Cheney told me
that kderemove was deprecated.

> #35762 lintian could check for hardcoded --infodir in maintaner scripts
>  last changed 2001 -> flush it

What is the status of this issue ? Is the translation complete ?

> #39825 menu: There should be a Apps/Mail section
>  last changed 2002 -> flush it

To be honest, I would prefer if menu subpolicy was frozen until sarge
release, so I get a chance to have all the translations of menu section
up-to-date for sarge. On the other hand, Apps/Mail or Apps/Net/Mail
seems reasonnable. (The alternative being someone fixing the hints support
in menu)

> #65577 [Amended] copyright should include notice if a package is not a
> part of Debian distribution
>  last change in 2000 -> flush it

I would posit that package not part of Debian are not bound by Debian policy,
so this proposal is moot.

> #84473 please document typical 'hints' and where to find them
>  last in Feb 03; however, it's a valid request to document them. So, I'd
>  keep it for the moment

As above. I don't have the resource to fix hints myself, sorry.
You can get information about the state of hints in Debian at
<http://people.debian.org/~ballombe/menu>.

> #85270 [PROPOSAL] Forbiding debian-revision field for Debian-native source
> packages
>  last change 2001 -> flush it

Please keep it open. There still wrong upload of non-pristine source
done. (I offer to fix menu versionning if it is implemented :) )

> #89039 [PROPOSAL] document menu file format in policy
>  last change 2001 -> flush it

I don't think documenting menu file format in policy make sense but more
generally, there is a question whether menu subpolicy must include the
recognized 'needs' and fields and the way menu-methods must handle them.
At least, I have fixed the menu manual to document that. But this is
a different topicthat deserve another bug report if any.

> #114920 [PROPOSAL] remove foolish consistency in perl module names
>  last change in 2001 -> flush it

Please don't flush this one. This discussion seemingly has stalled on a wording
issue with people mainly agreeing.

> #122038 Use of /var/backups is apparently undocumented
>  last change in Aug 03 -> flush it

If it is still not documented, don't flush that proposal.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here.