Re: [debian-printing] Packaging of vendor PPD files.

"Per Olofsson" <pelle@dsv.su.se> writes:

> I then propose the following way to handle PPDs (Postscript Printer
> Descriptions) in Debian:
>
> * PPD collection packages should be named ppd-<vendor>.

OK.

> * PPDs in PPD collection packages should be put in
>   /usr/share/postscript/ppd/<vendor>/.

OK.  Just a note: Gimp-Print will be split like so:
gimp-print/$version/$language_$region/ so tools will have to cope with
a "deep" tree.

> * A meta package, ppd-all, should depend on all PPD collection
>   packages.

I'd prefer ppd-common or ppd-base (I take "all" imply "everything").

> * Packages which use PPDs should make use of the PPDs in
>   /usr/share/postscript/ppd. For example, the cupsys package could
>   simply include a symlink in /usr/share/cups/model/ to
>   /usr/share/postscript/ppd.

I take it that /usr/share/postscript/ppd would be provided by ppd-all.
What else would this package provide (if anything)?

> I'm not sure if /usr/share/postscript/ppd is the right directory to
> use, one could also imagine simply using /usr/share/ppd since
> /usr/share/postscript doesn't seem to be used for anything else.

/usr/share/ppd seems OK to me.  If we used /usr/share/postscript, if
there anything else that it could be used for?

Regards,
Roger

--
Roger Leigh