Re: lower case pathnames

On Fri, Feb 06, 2004 at 12:11:24PM +0100, Andreas Schuldei wrote:
> is there a section in policy demanding/recommending pathnames
> being lower case? the only (sensible?) exceptions i can think of
> right now are the X11 paths.
>
> every other time it would at least follow the rule of least
> surprise not to have capital letters in paths. is this policy
> worthy?

There are quite a few programs that use upper-case, and changing
them would break compatibility with upstream and other distros,
so I don't things such a policy is worthwhile.

This include perl modules, libraries like libGL.so, locales files,
python libraries, and countless others.

Just try
find /usr -name '*[A-Z]*'

Cheers,