Re: And next name after Sarge? or PROPOSAL for Codenames' election

On Sat, Jan 10, 2004 at 07:00:23PM +0100, Przemyslaw Brojewski wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 05:09:59PM +0100, Xan wrote:
> > Recently, I'm worried about the election of codenames of Debian: 1) how they
> > are choosen and by who, and 2) what will happen when the Toy Story names
> > finish.
>
> Is it that much inportant?
>
> > 1) I asked what's the next name after Sarge (and in general how the names of
> > Debian are choosen) in many places:
> > I did not get any reasonable answer.
> perheaps nobody really cares.
>
> > 3) I suspect that the election of the next codename is arbitrary
> That's a good thing in this case.
>
> > 4) Having the consideration of the spirit of Debian and, in general, the open
> > spirit of Linux Community, I think that the codenames of Debian should be
> > elected in open way.
> (...)
> > 5) There are severals ways of doing this:
>
> Look. If you really want it, then do it yourself. Found a site that collects
> votes and proposals and maintain it. Advertise it to the community. It
> won't be ignored, once it exists and works. There's no need to create
> special infrastructure for it. It does not require administrative
> blessings either. I could do it myself but I have no motivation.
> I'm happy with the way names are chosen right now, And when the Toy
> Story names finish there will be another piece of art to pick names
> from.
>
> Przemyslaw Brojewski.

No. Don't set up a web site to deal with this. The answer has already been
given: The name is selected by the release manager. IMHO, it is about the
only perc. to an important and difficult job.

And this is probably the one decision where he need not worry about
being irrational.

I say don't encourage community input.

--
Paul E Condon