Re: Should we allow packages to depend on packages with lower priority values?

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 06:01:17 -0700, Paul E Condon
<pecondon@peakpeak.com> wrote:
>From my experience as a user, package categories complicate user
>understanding without any apparent benefit. When I first read about
>them I was puzzled as to why they exist. My current thinking is that
>they somehow simplify the process of placing packages on CDs in the
>official release. It is good to have things arranged in such a way
>that a new user can get started with just one CD, and it is good
>to have some heuristics for finding such an arrangement. But I
>wonder; should these heuristics be part of a grand policy?

They should. The current priority system contains the selection about
which package gets installed by default if there are multiple packages
doing the same thing.

And it allows vendors who decide to pre-install Debian on new systems
to blindly install everything down to optional without conflicts. That
might be a stupid decision, but they can shit a conflict free complete
system then.

All these things could be solved by allowing dependencies to be in
lower priorities and resolving dependencies when building a "standard
only" or "everything non-extra" system.

>Again, I'm sorry for having misrepresented your position.
>Please, excuse me.

No problem. I am not a native speaker and have most probably worded an
unclear proposal.

Greetings
Marc