Init.d script, preventing start of one service

Hello,

In one of the package i maitain i have a config script which begin by
asking if the service attached to this package need to be run. I use a
variable ( stored in /etc/default/mldonkey -- LAUNCH_AT_STARTUP="yes" )
to determine if i need to run the service or not.

If the variable is set to yes, the init script launch the service,
otherwise it does nothing.

The user ask me if i can use update-rc.d to create/remove symlink
depending on the former LAUNCH_AT_STARTUP value.

What is the standard solution for doing this in debian ?

Thanks for your response
Kind regard
Sylvain LE GALL

ps : i know ssh use a file to launch or not sshd, is it a good solution
?