Re: Status of UTF-8 Debian changelogs

On Thu, Jun 05, 2003 at 08:57:06PM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
 JR>> the only thing that will change is that if someone complains at
 JR>> people who use UTF-8 in changelogs, a new retort will be
 JR>> available, "THE POLICY MADE ME DO IT!!1!", or similar.
 CW> Why would someone complain?

I would complain.

I am using KOI8-R terminal which can not display Latin-1 characters, and
it seems backward to me to mandate or even allow _usage_ of UTF-8 ahead
of getting it _supported_ across the system. I'd rather have 7-bit ASCII
changelogs: why Latin-1 users are privileged to use native spelling of
their names, while Cyrillic and Kanji and other users have to resort to
transliteration?

--
Dmitry Borodaenko