Re: "libwww-curl-perl"

On Mon, Jun 02, 2003 at 10:57:07AM +0200, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> I'm sorry, but isn't that just a bit stupid? The "WWW::" part in the perl
> name doesn't make the package depend or use libwww. It says the package is
> in the WWW category.
>
> I think that makes sense.

The "lib" part in the Debian Perl packages names doesn't make the program
within it get a lib- prefix in the name. It's simply a convention,
lib*something*-perl means that there's a *something* Perl module inside.
And then the *something* part is derived from the module's name, with
y/A-Z/a-z/; s/::/-/g; applied, basically.

I don't know exactly why it's done that way (it was introduced long before
I ever became a Debian developer), but it's the scheme we use and we're
keeping it, for consistency and backwards compatibility (we have almost
500 Perl modules packaged right now).

> Then your naming scheme is truly screwed up.

Sure. Life sucks, too :)

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.