Re: conflicting -dev packages

joy@gkvk.hr (Josip Rodin)  wrote on 15.02.03 in <[🔎] 20030215133036.GA9612@cibalia.gkvk.hr>:

> On Sat, Feb 15, 2003 at 08:58:00AM +0200, Kai Henningsen wrote:
> > The only time I see where deviating from that rule would be justified is
> > when two -dev packages Depend: on some other packages that cannot be made
> > non-conflicting, so that avoiding the conflict at the -dev level would not
> > actually make it possible to install them at the same time. Of course, by
> > the exact same reasoning as for the -dev packages themselves, those
> > situations should be avoided whenever possible.
>
> IME headers usually don't change location with SONAME changes, so modifying
> them in packages has additional disadvantages which should be obvious.

That still seems *far* less of a problem than the current situation. (And
note that you could easily hide that difference, if you wanted to, with
alternatives.)

I strongly believe that being unable to install apache-dev and db4.1-dev
on the same machine is inacceptable. It is also quite obviously an
unnecessary problem - I gather (from looking at autoconf code) other
distributions have the db stuff under /usr/include/db3 etc., or if you
compile it locally you can use a different prefix and there will be
absolutely *no* conflict.

I'm all for convenience (which is all you get from not changing
locations), but not at the expense of making other things impossible.

MfG Kai