Re: Question regarding policy (11.2)

"Ivan E. Moore II" <rkrusty@earthlink.net> writes:

> Hi,
>
>     Policy reads:
>
>     "All libraries must have a shared version in the lib* package and
>     a static version in the lib*-dev package"
>
>    I'm not too keen on providing static versions of libraries who's intent are
> for embedded devices.  The idea, of course, for embedded devices are to have
> as little of a install base as possible.  Providing static libs implies that
> statically linking libraries into binaries is something we want.  In some
> cases this would be the case but I believe in most cases this is not.  Am
> I not seeing some advantage to this specific policy when it comes to embedded
> applications/libraries or does this policy need a revision?

This came up a couple months ago as #168435, though not with respect to
embedded devices.  Personally, I think the "must" should be changed to a
"should" in policy, especially regarding static libraries since they are
largely unnecessary and essentially optional in most cases.

--
My secret to happiness... is that I have a heart of a 12-year-old boy.
It's over here in a jar.  Would you like to see it?