Re: Mass bug filing potential: (x-)www-browser Provides

On Sat, Dec 13, 2003 at 04:40:23PM +0100, Rene Engelhard wrote:
> [ Cc: ing debian-policy wrt virtual-packages-list ]
>
> Hi,
>
> We want to suggest Browsers for X (those providing the x-www-browser
> alternative):
>
> IMHO, suggesting a console program from an X program makes no sense -

We are not suggesting a console program, but a class of programm which
include both console and X11 program. It is up to the user to choose
at this point.

> especially not as the X program will use the x-www-browser alternative
> per default...

Are you aware of Policy proposal #172436 web browser url viewing ?

I am not sure we need to seggregate between X11 and text browser
in the virtual-package. Doing it in the alternative is quite
sufficient since:

  If the BROWSER environment variable is not set, the program should use
  /usr/bin/x-www-browser if there is an available X Window System DISPLAY,
  and /usr/bin/www-browser if not.

By the way, what is delaying acceptation of #172436 ?

Cheers,
Bill.