Re: Package which uses jam (instead make)

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 16:58:55 +0200, Josip Rodin <joy@srce.hr> said:

> On Mon, Oct 20, 2003 at 09:54:13PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> It is documented to be a Makefile. That _is_ the interface
>> definition.

> Actually, we don't know that.

	We don't?

> The original documentation did not explicitely say that all rules
> files absolutely need to be makefiles, but we warped it to mean that
> later.

	I do not think it is relevant what the original intent was, or
 how it got into the standard (I am toal there are hoary tales
 associated with tne C++ standard); the fact is that this has been
 accepted practice as long as there has been a rules file, and has
 been documented as being a Makefile for some time now.

	Given the lack of a compelling technical reason to change,
 standards documents should not change.  And the technical policy is a
 standards document, as far as the project is concerned.

	manoj
--
"I don't think we should punish the criminal [a rapist] by killing his
child." Dr. John Wilke, President, National Right to Life Committee,