Re: Original sources, or not

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 11:16:49 +0200, Matthias Urlichs
<smurf@smurf.noris.de> said:

> Manoj Srivastava wrote:

>> This would be an undue burden on a number of packages.

> What's undue about inserting a "I created the .orig.tar.gz package
> by calling 'make clean_all_generated_files'." sentence in the
> copyright / readme / whatever file?

	If it is mandated, any package not doing so is instantly
 buggy; and that is something that the policy cabal can't do.

> That's all I'd require. Anything else would make me very happy, but
> I certainly don't demand it.

	We can't demand even this, but we can definitely recommend
 this practice.

>> Have you done a survey to see how many packages would be affected?

> No, because I do not advocate retroactively filing RC bugs against
> any packages.

	Your advocacy, though appreciated, does not really make a
 difference, since if policy mandates it, then bugs can be filed.

>> it is unlikely that we would be able  to generate a
>> cryptographically pristine set by this mechanism  anyway.

> An overall "find . -type f -print0 | xargs -0r md5sum | sort +1 |
> md5sum" on an automatically transmogrified .tar.gz might conceivably
> work. However, that's a wholly different topic.

	Good, so we can drop discussion here.

> All _I_ want is to be able to answer the question "what, if
> anything, did the maintainer do to create this orig.tar.gz file"?
> One of the reasons, in fact the main reason why I wrote, is to
> package a new upstream version.(*) I'm sure we all can think of
> others.

	Sure. write up a proposal that recommends this as a desired
 practice, but not as a SHOULD or MUST rule, and see if we can get a
 rough consensus going.

	manoj
--
It's always darkest just before it gets pitch black.