Re: what is policy about?

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 14:25:11 +1000, Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> said:

> You do remember that we tried getting RC policy to be controlled by
> -policy, and it didn't work, right?

	No, I don't, for that would be an interesting revision of
 history, and not an accurate representation of actual events. I do
 not ever remember the policy group bering in charge of a list of bugs
 that were release critical, or passing judgement on which bugs were
 grave, or critical, or which packages were otherwise too buggy to
 release.

> Too many things that shouldn't be RC getting made RC, too many
> things getting made RC by accident or default, too much effort
> required to convince people that their pet fancy shouldn't be RC,
> and the RC policy not being up to date enough when it counts, and
> all.

	And this is your best effort at being constructive?

	All you are saying is that the release managers views differed
 from the people who populate the policy mailing list, and very
 possibly the goals of the policy team are different from the release
 managers.

	I do not find this surprising, since the the broad goals may
 well be in agreement, but the details may be different.

	All the policy group does it to determine what details of
 packaging are important for systems integration; and there are three
 varying levels of how important we think conformance to these rules
 are.  Lacking a firm determination in the release process in the
 past, the most serious of these violations were regarded as being
 important enough to cause an examination of the issue before the
 package was released (in other words, release critical). Yes, when
 examining specific cases, the general rule can, and does, turn out to
 have exceptions. Having a general rule was not an excuse to stop any
 critical thought process during the release process.

	There is no particular reason to connect violation of policy
 rules to release management (well, other than trying to get a handle
 on the quality of the distribution, or to beat people on the head
 with).

	Hammering integration related rules (which is what policy is)
 to be only restricted to those rules that impact release management
 is likely to be as bad of integration quality as trying to substitute
 integration rule violations for a coherent release management
 protocol.

	manoj
--
Don't indulge in careless behaviour. Don't be the friend of sensual
pleasures. He who meditates attentively attains abundant joy. 27