Re: what is policy about?

On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 02:41:19PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> Again: there is _no_ need to think of policy as a stick to beat people
> over the head with. We're _all_ sensible people who want to make Debian
> the highest quality software distribution in existance, even if we
> might disagree on how to go about it. We don't need to coerce people
> with threats for every trivial little thing, and it's probably actively
> harmful to try to do so. Policy's at its best when it simply says what
> should be done, and explains why doing other things isn't as good;
> not when it declares such-n-such must be done, lest the wrath of the
> release manager descend upon you all.

Then we need to get rid of the "serious" severity in the BTS, or
redefine it to omit any mention of Debian Policy.

As long as that severity exists in its current form, Policy *will*
continue to be used as a stick.  A fairly large one, at that.

I reiterate my position from last year:
  * decouple the Policy manual from bug severities
  * decouple bug severities from release management

Neither of these mean that the Policy Manual or Release Manager have to
give up any power whatsoever.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |       Yesterday upon the stair,
Debian GNU/Linux                   |       I met a man who wasn't there.