Re: aren't software authors misestimated?

On Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 12:04:20PM +0200, Michele Alessandrini wrote:
> in debian policy they are called, 2 or 3 times, "upstream authors", like
> if maintainers (largely mentioned) were the "main" authors.

Actually, no, no harm is meant by mentioning Debian maintainers more than
upstream maintainers/authors. Debian Policy simply talks more about Debian
maintainers because it is oriented towards them, not the upstream people.

As for the main vs. upstream distinction, that is not so. Here is an
applicable definition:

% dict -d jargon upstream
1 definition found

>From Jargon File (4.3.3, 20 Sep 2002) [jargon]:

  upstream adj. [common] Towards the original author(s) or maintainer(s)
     of a project. Used in connection with software that is distributed both
     in its original source form and in derived, adapted versions through a
     distribution (like the Debian version of Linux or one of the BSD ports)
     that has component maintainers for each of their parts. When a component
     maintainer receives a bug report or patch, he may choose to retain the
     patch as a porting tweak to the distribution's derivative of the
     project, or to pass it upstream to the project's maintainer. The antonym
     `downstream' is rare.

As you can see, there's nothing derogatory in the term "upstream".

> Dselect description doesn't even report their info or url
> What about giving them more "dignity"?

You are right that could have more exposure for upstream authors' names, for
those that want it.

We never list their e-mail addresses because we want to filter bug reports
(so that they don't have to see Debian-specific bug reports), and nobody
thought it was important to have an optional field for just their name
and/or URL. Adding the upstream URL is planned.

> Which are the rapports between a maintainer and the author, for example
> when deciding how to change the software to conform to Debian system?

The Debian maintainer usually does it, so they get to decide. If the
upstream author has anything to say, they're more than welcome to say so,
and they will likely be better listened to than anyone else (which isn't to
say that other people will not be listened to...).

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.