Re: Status of UTF-8 Debian changelogs

On Sat, 2003-06-07 at 09:59, Dmitry Borodaenko wrote:

> I am using KOI8-R terminal which can not display Latin-1 characters, and
> it seems backward to me to mandate or even allow _usage_ of UTF-8 ahead
> of getting it _supported_ across the system.

A growing amount of software in Debian has UTF-8 support.  I have been
using a fully UTF-8 locale for some time.  At least gnome-terminal has
excellent support for UTF-8; xterm has support too if you invoke it as
'uxterm'.  So I think the support is already here.

> I'd rather have 7-bit ASCII
> changelogs: why Latin-1 users are privileged to use native spelling of
> their names, while Cyrillic and Kanji and other users have to resort to
> transliteration?

I think after we switch to UTF-8, there's no reason why you should.