Re: amendment to shared library policy

Hello,

On Sun, May 18, 2003 at 04:26:35PM -0400, Jack Howarth wrote:
> Looking at the number of shared libraries in Debian which prelink
> has revealed to have undefined non-weak symbols (through incorrect
> linkage), I think we need an amendment to clarify Debian policy on
> such symbols. In a nut-shell, the policy should be that "No shared
> library shall contain undefined non-weak symbols unless it is known
> such symbols will be provided by the program dlopen'ing said library".
> Matching this policy, dh_shlibdeps should be performing a 'ldd -d -r'
> on each library in a package and issuing a warning if undefined
> symbols are detected. The warning issued by dh_shlibdeps should be
> simply that "Additional linkage *may* be required for this shared
> library".

Do you believe the wording proposed in bug #191369 captures your intent,
or is something further needed?  I'm not entirely certain how the
requirement "undefined non-weak symbols" maps onto the tools I'm
familiar with; running 'nm' on a shared library certainly gives a list
of undefined symbols, but gives no indication as to whether they're
weak.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer