Re: x-terminal-emulator options

In article <[🔎] 20030518160401.GO16869@seventeen>
allomber@math.u-bordeaux.fr writes:
>The new policy require that:
>
>12.8.3. Packages providing a terminal emulator
>
>     To be an `x-terminal-emulator', a program must:
>        * Be able to emulate a DEC VT100 terminal, or a compatible
>          terminal.

This is a problem.  I don't know of any program on Debian that
correctly emulates a DEC VT100.  The xterm manual mentions the VT102,
but I'm not at all sure it even does that correctly.  (The VT102 was a
cheaper later model that did a subset of the VT100.)

Things that few "VT100" emulators get right are it's obscure handling
of line wrapping, shifting from 80 character to 132 character modes,
double-width and double-width/double height characters, and the
various self-test modes.  (Undocumented stuff like blinking background
mode isn't worth worrying about.)

The emulator should also start in VT102 mode, not just be able to
switch to it.

Unfortunatly, the ANSI document the VT100 was based on left much
optional and was ambiguous in many cases.  Also, if we say "ANSI",
some people will assume the MSDOS "ANSI.SYS" superset of a subset of
ANSI.

How about:

	* Emulate the subset of a DEC VT102 teminal that xterm does,
	  excluding the DEC proprietary sequences.
--
Blars Blarson			blarson@blars.org
				http://www.blars.org/blars.html