Re: conflicting -dev packages

On Sat, Feb 15, 2003 at 08:58:00AM +0200, Kai Henningsen wrote:
> We have too many conflicting -dev packages.

Yes, and it's bloody hard to fix. There are two problems involved for
C libraries (and analogous ones for others) - the symlink in /usr/lib,
and the headers.

> Suppose I had two projects - one wanting to use Berkeley DB 4.1, one for
> an Apache module. I'd need to constantly reinstall the various -dev
> packages because apache-dev depends on libdb2-dev, and libdb2-dev and
> libdb4.1-dev conflict.

A lot of people would be very happy if you could think of a sane
solution to the libdb problem. Almost every different version changes
the API, the ABI, and the on-disk file format, without changing the
location or name of the C headers.

Actually solving this problem is hard. Ideally, upstream developers
would create libraries and packages which don't conflict, and which
can find the right headers and libraries to link against with a
minimum of fuss. Unfortunately, there's a problem:

They don't.

> [1] And, incidentally, there are some shared library packages which
> conflict between versions. These should be stamped out as well.

Yes, same problem.

I'm fairly convinced that this can't be solved unless upstream
developers get a clue. Furthermore, I suspect that the problems lie
only with a small number of libraries. It might be interesting if
somebody were to investigate in detail which ones are responsible.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ | Dept. of Computing,
 `. `'                          | Imperial College,
   `-             -><-          | London, UK