Re: [devel-ref] author/homepage in description

On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 09:30:51PM +0100, Josip Rodin wrote:
> Yes, but that means extraction of possibly huge data.tar.gz, versus
> extracting a much tinier control.tar.gz.

I can't tell it for sure, but a c program that only extracting such a file should
not be so slow, or at least not slower than tar it self.
(As soon as i'll have some time i'll write one and possibly let you know, if
you like).

> > IMHO an URI filed does not make sense in the package control file,
>
> By what standards? Would you remove the extended description as well, then?

Just to be sure: we were talking about including an
(upstream_source|snapshot|homepage) URI field into the package control file.
Isn't it?
I did not mean an URI _into_ a field (like URIs into Description), but a
general field which would only contain a URI. URIs are not descriptive for the
binary package management, so it's my _opinion_ (!standards) that there should
not be one specific field into the package control file.
Of course, i would not remove the extended description.

If we want to include homepage or snapshot into the package control files, we
may use `home made' protocols in Description: field like:

<homepage://some.site.org/some/index.html>
<snapshot://some.site.org/some/snapshot.png>
<bugs://some.site.org/some/bug/report/system/>

Or whatever.

These may easily be parsed and used on packages.debian.org.
What about this?

ciao,
--
Luca - De Whiskey's - De Vitis              | Elegant or ugly code as well
aliases: Luca ^De [A-Z][-A-Za-z]*[iy]'?s$   | as fine or rude sentences have