Re: Rewriting policy soonish if poss.

On Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 12:06:55AM +0900, Oohara Yuuma wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Aug 2002 00:08:03 +1000,
> Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> wrote:
> > Version number comparison is checked with 'dpkg --compare-versions', and
> > the format is checked automatically by various tools. I've never found
> > it necessary to look at the details of either except when I'm poking at
> > apt or dpkg's internals, or when I've needed to do something really weird.
> You say I should read the source of dpkg when I need to do
> something really weird about version number (cope with -pre and -beta,
> rebuild with dbs and so on)?  Digits, dots and hyphens do not
> always work.

No, I'm saying you should read the Specs Document.

(Advice on coping with -pre and -beta and such should be in the Best
Practices doc anyway though -- generalising from how the version
comparison stuff works to a good way of handling pre-versions is
non-trivial. Well, without ~, it is, anyway.)

Cheers,
aj