Re: Rewriting policy soonish if poss.

On Tue, Jul 30, 2002 at 11:44:38AM -0600, Julian Gilbey wrote:
> > __Debian Standards Document__
> >   dpkg:
> Most of the dpkg setup is so intricately connected with the packaging
> process, that separating out some of this seems somewhat weird.
> Although I guess that since this stuff is so clear and well-defined,
> it would be somewhat reasonable to simply cross-reference it.

Well, the version format ([epoch]:[upstream]-[debian]), and particularly
how version numbers are compared can be split out reasonably. The
intricate details of how a .deb is made up, likewise. The archive's
expectations of what a "source package" is (and what a .changes file is,
for that matter), don't really affect the details of packaging much,
either. The debian/rules interface might or mightn't be worth specing
outside of policy, I don't know if anything but "dpkg-buildpackage"
actually needs to care that much.

> I guess I'm mostly with you on this one now.

Cool.

Cheers,
aj