Re: /usr/doc

Joey Hess wrote:
> So would anyone murder me if the code in debhelper to make postinst
> scripts manage /usr/doc links just went missing?

There would be reasons to murder you if you *don't* do that change ;-)

Adam Heath wrote:
> /usr/info/dir was just recently moved, with dpkg 1.10.  That file is now a
> symlink to /usr/share/info/dir.

We should not need /usr/info/dir as a symlink. install-info works ok
without the symlink, the standard info browser does not need it
either, and any other remaining info reader which does not support
/usr/share/info/dir is buggy and should be fixed. We should rather
discover ASAP such buggy info readers by removing /usr/info/dir to
make them fail. That's a completely acceptable (temporary) breakage
for unstable.

> Once all files are moved from /usr/info(there's a few left), and all
> info browsers read from /usr/share/info/dir, then we can link the dir.

We should not need /usr/info to exist at all either. This is not
/usr/doc where people read the docs by hand.