Re: Essentialness of awk

On Fri, Sep 27, 2002 at 09:59:25PM +0200, Santiago Vila wrote:
> What I mean is that the current policy wording about essential
> packages is sub-optimal. The important thing is not that essential
> packages work even if they are unconfigured, the important thing is
> that once they are configured (by debootstrap) they should not be
> unconfigured again.

No -- they're unconfigured every time dpkg unpacks a new version. That's
what "unconfigured" means.

I think I understand what you're getting at, but I can't think of a way
to say it. There's a problem that if there's a new required package then
it has to fail to break any essential packages when you start unpacking
and installing it. Mostly that can be handled by pre-depends: (for new
libraries that essential packages need) and replaces: (for splitting
essential packages), I think.

Cheers,
aj