Re: [PROPOSAL] Drop 30000-59999 uid/gid reservation

Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> We have reserved the 30000-59999 uid/gid range for ages, but never used
> it and observing the current rate of growth I don't think it makes sense
> to keep them reserved: Debian will not use that range in the next
> century, while large systems definitely can use the extra room.

Well, I have a package that really needs a minumum of 100 but ideally
1000 semi-static uids of its own (the block should be contiguous; must
have _no_ user in the password file for at least a large percentage of
them; don't ask), but I have not dared to bring it up on policy. I've
been using the low end of the big block (31000-32000) for now, since
occupying anywhere in 1000-29999 seems chancy at best.

> Also, we should add a reservation for 2^64-1 for systems with 64 bit
> uid/gids.

Agreed.

--
see shy jo