Re: Processed: reassigning back...

>>"Wichert" == Wichert Akkerman <wichert@wiggy.net> writes:

 Wichert> Policy still documents a relation that is not ready for use yet and
 Wichert> has never been announced as such by the people implementing it (ie
 Wichert> the dpkg developers).

	Oh, my. What a dpkg centric view. Policy is more than merely
 documentation of dpkg, no matter how you view it. The counter view is
 policy documents a field by which packages may tell users how
 packages enhance other packages. At this point, this information is
 merely transmitted to people who look at the description (apt-cache
 show, for one), until the tools catch up.

 Wichert> If you decide that you want people to use a half implemented
 Wichert> feature that might change behaviour again, feel free to

	The feature as such is useful as it stands. Do you think the
 packaging tool implementors can't follow a really simplistic spec?
 Especially one that was discussed with their input, and the spec
 written up post design discussions? And one that follows other
 relationship specifications already implemented? In that case, we'll
 deal with it when it happens.

 Wichert> close this bugreport and forget about it. I'll happily
 Wichert> reassign bugreports about people running into problems with
 Wichert> Enhances back to debian-policy later in that case.

	It would be sent back to dpkg-dev, since I think that
 developers throwing hissy fits and turning away feature requests from
 users ought to grow up. The enhances relationship is indeed a
 desirable one; feature requests ought not to be turned away just
 because you think you deserve the final say.

	Utility to users ought to be the deciding criteria, not a
 pissing contest over who gets to decide when things are accepted. And
 giving more information about package relationships can only be
 helpful.

 Wichert> If you decide to remove references to Enhances from debian-policy,
 Wichert> great. It means people won't be tempted to use something that isn't
 Wichert> quite ready for general use yet.

	Why is it not ready for general use yet? You think people can't
 think for themselves? That when they see an enhances field they are
 too durned dumb to make the corelation, without the genius of dpkg
 developers to hold their hands? Policy does not say that tools shall
 behave any differently in presence of the field.

 Wichert> But at least make a decision and stick with it instead of this
 Wichert> silly reassigning/opening/closing.

	Yann did not see the cloning. I closed it already. Deal with
 it.

	manoj
--
 Dammit Jim, I'm an actor, not a doctor.