Re: Policy Process (was: Bug #89867: Where to place web-accessible images)

>>"Matthew" == Matthew Palmer <mpalmer@debian.org> writes:

 Matthew> On Sun, 1 Sep 2002, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
 Matthew> personally am particularly interested in #89867, which has
 Matthew> been turned into an amendment, but hasn't had any sort of
 Matthew> discussion or acceptance.

 >> Since the web browsers have not implemented the requisite
 >> changes, this proposal is unlikely to be accepted unil they do.

 Matthew> Browsers?  Have I gone completely nuts, or was this proposal
 Matthew> to get web servers to export a new directory hierarchy,
 Matthew> /usr/share/images/, as http://localhost/images/?  OK, I can
 Matthew> see why it might be an issue - it would probably be nice to
 Matthew> be able to access images from places other than localhost.

	I meant servers, yes.

 Matthew> Based on the proposal's use of http://localhost/, or some
 Matthew> other criteria?

	Right now, if I arrange for images to be referenced in
 /var/www/, they are accessible elsewhere (I did something like that
 when I used to maintain LaTeX2HTML -- the images were available both
 locally using a fil:// url as well as from off machine).

	Were I to follow this proposed polisy, that would not be the case.

 Matthew> Also, I've noticed recent discussion on teams that are
 Matthew> seriously short of manpower, and -policy editors was one of
 Matthew> the groups that came up.

	Perhaps. But the part we need most help with is flushing out
 the issues in the BTS, updating the bugs to reflect the current
 status, and kick starting moribund discussions (or flushing the
 issues out).

	We are also on the cusp of starting a rewrite of policy as a
 tight, specs/standards document, and a good practices document (look
 for the discussion between aj and Julian in this list). So, looking
 at items in current policy, and deciding where they belong in the new
 set of documents would help the process.

	The actual writing to CVS and uploading the package itself is
 less of a bottleneck, but we'll need to get more people in that set
 as well.

	manoj
--
 "If a computer can't directly address all the RAM you can use, it's
 just a toy." anonymous comp.sys.amiga posting, non-sequitir