Re: Working on debian developer's reference and "best packaging practices"

 Anthony> On Mon, May 06, 2002 at 05:19:09PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> [...]
 Anthony> The real question is whether maintainers are meant to build
 Anthony> using the features of dpkg, or the ones listed in
 >> *Sigh*. Let me see if I can dot the i's and cross the t's. A
 >> package should be buildable using the bits mentioned in policy. Any
 >> package may, however, choose to add any extra bits added by dpkg,
 >> (perhaps buigld depending on a new dpjg version if the change is not
 >> compatible with older versions).

 Anthony> This, uh, doesn't make sense.

	Really?

 Anthony> 	"A package should be buildable using nothing more than
 Anthony> 	 [foo]. Unless it chooses not to be."

 Anthony> ...seems to be what you just said.

	Umm. I fail to see how else I can define sufficient, and
 optional, new, added features.  Policy defines the minimal,
 sufficient interface.

	manoj
--
 The King and his advisor are overlooking the battle field: King: "How
 goes the battle plan?" Advisor: "See those little black specks