Re: Java Policy.

On Sun, 2002-05-12 at 18:29, Per Bothner wrote:
> Jim Pick wrote:
> > Sounds like Debian could use the same solution for gcj that Debian uses
> > for emacs -> just distribute the .java files and do the ahead-of-time
> > compilation (.java to .so) at install time.  Is this automatic enough
> > under gcj so that this could that work?
>

> I think it would be too slow.  After all you don't do the .c to .so
> compilation at installation time, so why should .java to .so be
> different?

I agree it would be slow.  Just like Debian's emacs solution is slow.
:-)

I primarily wanted to say that it seemed like it was a similar type of
problem.

> Also, what happens if you install a Java package, and then install
> gcj later?  Shuld that so the compilation to .so when you install
> gcj?

Yep, the compilation would have to happen then, all the .class files
would then get compiled to .so files (just like how the .el files get
compiled to .elc files when installing xemacs/emacs).

If the .class -> .so conversion process can be 100% automated, then
maybe somebody can develop a system using the buildd servers that would
automatically upload a package containing the converted .so files
whenever a Java package is uploaded that conforms to the spec, so that
the end users don't have to do the compiling.  (Debian could do the same
thing for the emacs packages too)

Cheers,

 - Jim