Re: Working on debian developer's reference and "best packaging practices"

On Fri, May 10, 2002 at 03:48:28AM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Mon, May 06, 2002 at 06:11:46PM +0100, Julian Gilbey wrote:
> > On Fri, May 03, 2002 at 08:02:50PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > > I'm concerned about this because when I tried passing over
> > > "release-critical policy issues" to the policy group, it didn't work. [..]
> > Strawman (to quote lots of others).  As a concept, it's very good, but
> > as we discovered, the implementation was poor.
>
> As a concept it sucked, we just didn't realise it at the time. -policy
> isn't competent at judging which issues should be release critical. We
> didn't realise this before we tried, no we have tried and it's blatanly
> obvious.
>
> I'd suspect the reason it doesn't work is because there's no downside
> for -policy to making a rule a release-critical issue, compared to not
> doing it.  You guys don't have to try to coerce people into fixing their
> RC bugs in a timely manner, nor throw out packages that don't have their
> RC bugs fixed, nor deal with the people who absolutely need the package.

Whatever you say.

Please note, however, the two distinct parts here:

(1) Deciding what's RC.  I agree with you that this is the job of the
    release manager.  Rather you than me.

(2) Recording the decisions.  That can either go in a separate
    document as you describe, or in the body of policy in a clearly
    marked way as I have suggested.  As it is clear that you are the
    only person who decides which issues are RC and which are not,
    -policy won't make those decisions but only record the decisions
    you have made.

But at present all of this is hypothetical.

Now back to real work.

   Julian

      Julian Gilbey, Dept of Maths, Queen Mary, Univ. of London
              website: http://www.maths.qmul.ac.uk/~jdg/
   Debian GNU/Linux Developer, see: http://people.debian.org/~jdg/
     Visit http://www.thehungersite.com/ to help feed the hungry