Re: init.d scripts and LSB

* Craig Small <csmall@eye-net.com.au> [020505 20:19]:
>   I have got bug #138251 which talks about the init.d script and how it
> is missing some nices things etc.
>
> Should Debian scripts be following the LSB and if so, why doesn't the
> policy either mention the LSB or have the same standards?
>
> This is more important for me as the dh-make maintainer as a lot of
> people use it to make their own packages so I like to get it right.
>
> I'm not on debian-policy, so please CC me.

I posted to the lsb-spec mail list and got some replies that are on
target.  I attached them below.  Check the archives of those lists to
see the full threads, but here are some key responses from Alan Cox and
Ted Ts'o.  Chris Lawrence did a better job doing a complete and accurate
summary of the issue at hand than I did.

So in short, I was wrong.  Technically the init script LSB
specifications are only applicable to lsb applications/packages.
However the init script names must be coordinated as Ted mentions.
I don't fully understand how this should/will function in practice.

My thinking was from a user/administrator perspective such that all init
scripts SHOULD have the same consistent set of functions.  I was
thinking that if they are defined clearly in the LSB we might as well
use them.  Yet this is a separate policy discussion that's beyond the
scope of the LSB and goes to my personal opinions about possible future
Debian policy.

Cheers,

--
-- Grant Bowman                                <grantbow@grantbow.com>