Re: init.d scripts and LSB

On May 06, Craig Small wrote:
>   I have got bug #138251 which talks about the init.d script and how it
> is missing some nices things etc.
>
> Should Debian scripts be following the LSB and if so, why doesn't the
> policy either mention the LSB or have the same standards?

FWIW, the current edition of the LSB does require the various LSB
addons, but since the LSB doesn't define any interfaces in /etc/init.d
except those provided by LSB packages, the requirement is meaningless
in practice.

For example, it is illegal for an LSB-conformant application to call
/etc/init.d/apache restart, because /etc/init.d/apache is not defined
in the specification.  Presumably a later edition of the LSB will
define some init.d entry points, but it hasn't happened yet.

Chris
--
Chris Lawrence <cnlawren@olemiss.edu> - http://www.lordsutch.com/chris/

Instructor and Ph.D. Candidate, Political Science, Univ. of Mississippi
208 Deupree Hall - 662-915-5765