Re: Working on debian developer's reference and "best packaging practices"

On Fri, May 03, 2002 at 02:13:41PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>  Luca> At last we need a document that tells maintainers how to build
>  Luca> a dpkg package from source, assuming both to be Debian policy
>  Luca> compliant (since we choose dpkg as our official packaging
>  Luca> tool). Such a document may include tips & tricks (ie.  the use
>  Luca> of debhelper), solutions to common problems and so on.
>
> 	Sounds like the developers reference

	Yes, I meant it.

>  Luca> In this way, we can completely plug the packaging tool in and
>  Luca> out the process. This is what i like Debian to be.
>
> 	That would be nice. So policy would be the common part, and
>  dpkg could be one of several package management tools that could be
>  used to maintain a Debian system. I like the concept, but I have no
>  idea when or even if) this could come to fruition.

	The first point (to me) is that the distribution is not a packaging
tool and dpkg is not Debian, so policy should not refer to this (even if it's
our first choice).
	Fruition...  Well the first example that comes in my mind is about
freedom. We like open source because it's freedom, it lets you to choose: what
if we decide to change to.. rpm? Should we ever achive a sort of consensus on
this, a packaging tool independent policy would not need to be changed.  Of
course, rpm is an example :)

ciao,
--
Luca - De Whiskey's - De Vitis              | Elegant or ugly code as well
aliases: Luca ^De [A-Z][A-Za-z\-]*[iy]'\?s$ | as fine or rude sentences have