Re: What is the "system"

On Fri, Feb 22, 2002 at 06:47:29PM +0100, Georges Mariano wrote:
> Suppose I remove 'dpkg' on a file server, what's the problem ??

You can no longer do security updates, and you don't even have
/usr/bin/md5sum with which to verify them?

> So I think that we should precisely state what (sub)system
> is broken. Either the GNU/Linux part or the Debian part.

Running without dpkg isn't a supported configuration. If you want to
do it, and it works, good for you.

> Related question : I don't think that the difference between
> what is required and what is essential is clearly stated ...

required = essential + dependencies + other random garbage that shouldn't
           have been marked required in the first place (roughly)

Cheers,
aj

We came. We Saw. We Conferenced. http://linux.conf.au/

  ``Debian: giving you the power to shoot yourself in each
       toe individually.'' -- with kudos to Greg Lehey